The purpose of this page is to challenge me to open my eyes and truly see the world which surrounds me. So often we trudge though our daily routine, too busy or preoccupied to notice the little miracles happening all around us. I hope to capture, through the lens of a camera, glimpses of my sometimes mundane but glorious little world. I will attempt to post one snapshot each day to share with you. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 30, 2014

January 30, 2014




For Christmas this last year the boys got me one of those squishy, silicony baking molds for a cake or fruit bread.  I finally got around to making a cake this evening using the awesome little gift.  Here is my first attempt at chocolate wine cake.  WOW!  is it good!  Since I'm being careful about what I eat, this is NOT good.  I'm hoping the boys will finish up the remainder of this moist little treat while I'm in Hawaii for the weekend.


1 stick butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 t (heaping) baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 cup (overflowing) red wine

Cream together butter and sugar.  Add egg, blend. Add vanilla, blend.
Slowing mix in dry ingredients until stiff and lumpy.  Mix in red wine.  Scoop into a buttered/floured cake or loaf pan.  Bake in a 350˚ oven for 45 minutes or until set and a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool 5-10 minutes, turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.  You can sprinkle with powdered sugar, but I didn't bother.

Fox Island, Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment