The purpose of this page is to challenge me to open my eyes and truly see the world which surrounds me. So often we trudge though our daily routine, too busy or preoccupied to notice the little miracles happening all around us. I hope to capture, through the lens of a camera, glimpses of my sometimes mundane but glorious little world. I will attempt to post one snapshot each day to share with you. Enjoy!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 28, 2011




Sorry, more flowers.  But actually, these are weeds...  in my backyard.   I saved them today, along with my ginormous tomato plant.  Ginormous, by the way, is a real word now.  It was added this year as a 'new word' to the Urban and Merriam-Webster Online dictionaries.  Anyway.... back to my story.  The yard service crew came through today and (after sucking up all the leaves from my windswept tree!) starting the attack on my precious, almost ripe, fruit bearing gem!  That's right, I'm talking about the tomato plant I discovered a few weeks back growing (out of control) on the back slope of my yard.  I call them a fruit despite the fact the United States Agricultural Department has them classified as a vegetable.... it was a tax issue, honest.  But that's a discussion for another day.   The crew was ordered to take out any 'unsightly' weeds or plants on the back slope.  Caught in the nick of time.... I explained that I like the pretty pink flowers (and more importantly, my tomatoes), don't find them at all offensive, they don't block my view (I guess being tall helps) and would appreciate them just leaving things the way they are.  After a short discussion, a plateful of haupia (think coconut jell-o jiggler squares), a 20 minute break sitting in the shade on my back patio and they were happy to accommodate my request.  Thank you!
Kailua, Hawaii

2 comments:

  1. I never get tired of seeing the flowers (weed, in this case). Keep posting them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - love photos of flowers or pretty weeds. :)

    ReplyDelete