The purpose of this page is to challenge me to open my eyes and truly see the world which surrounds me. So often we trudge though our daily routine, too busy or preoccupied to notice the little miracles happening all around us. I hope to capture, through the lens of a camera, glimpses of my sometimes mundane but glorious little world. I will attempt to post one snapshot each day to share with you. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

May 26, 2011



As I stated in a previous blog there is a big exercise going on somewhere nearby in the islands and our air traffic activity has increased significantly.  We've seen a lot of different aircraft we don't normally get to see here.  For today though, I thought I'd show off some of the regulars.  This big baby is an Air Force C-17 Globemaster III.   They're stationed on the Leeward side of Oahu, but use the Windward side to bounce and practice landing/take off.  Since this plane is SO large it's intriguing to watch.   I find myself silently and mentally urging the plane back up into the air as it slowly but surely leaves the end of the runway. Check them out at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_C-17_Globemaster_III .   In the background is a row of Navy P-3 Orions.  They are at the "Hot Spot" and being loaded up with "gear" for their part in the exercise.   This aircraft was originally designed to hunt submarines but has proven itself many times over as a multi functional warrior in many arenas from the Cuban Missile Crisis to Vietnam to Desert Storm, Shield and Iraqi Freedom to Afghanistan and Pakistan to Somalia to Latin America and most recently to Libya and Japan.  For more info on this mighty aircraft go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-3_Orion .
Marine Corps Base Hawaii
Kailua, HI

No comments:

Post a Comment