The purpose of this page is to challenge me to open my eyes and truly see the world which surrounds me. So often we trudge though our daily routine, too busy or preoccupied to notice the little miracles happening all around us. I hope to capture, through the lens of a camera, glimpses of my sometimes mundane but glorious little world. I will attempt to post one snapshot each day to share with you. Enjoy!

Saturday, July 21, 2012

July 21, 2012




While walking the beach this morning I noticed how far out I could see so I asked my husband, "How far out can we see?"  Let me preface this with, one of the many jobs the Navy has trained Dave to be is as a navigator.  He can read maps, charts, stars, skies and seas like nobody's business.  I will point out though, this doesn't not necessarily extend to cars and streets, roads, highways or byways.  And I most certainly have not acquired any navigational skills through marital osmosis. This last statement is usually a cheeky comment I make from the passenger seat of the car when we are hopelessly lost en route to some formal function in which we cannot be late.
I digress... Dave enthusiastically jumped in with a long (winded) and technical explanation using terms such as optimal temperatures, wind patterns, cloud coverage, curvature of the Earth and drawing angles off the line of horizon until he noticed I had that blank, far off stare going.  He quickly changed tactics and said, "About 12 miles." So when we went back later in the afternoon to take a cool off dip in the still calm waters of the Pacific Ocean, I spotted a sailboat on the horizon.   "So that boat is about 12 miles out?" I ask.  Dave lifts his head from his nap to get a look, glances at me, pauses and then chooses the easiest route.... "No, can't see the hull.... it's beyond 12 miles," drops his head down in the sand to go back to snoozing and soaking up the sun.   Thanks for the simplified lesson, dear.
Kailua Beach, Hawaii

No comments:

Post a Comment